Who we serve
Piper Writers House and partner organizations will provide professional development opportunities, technical support, and open lines of communication. Specific support provided includes: scheduling, coordination, end-of-project celebrations, supplies, and feedback. We strive to build a community of teaching artists who feel valued and supported in their work and empowered to provide excellent community outreach and education.
Our vision for community outreach is to enrich the lives of participants, teaching artists, and partner organizations by fostering closer connections through creative expression. Programs will be sustainable staples communities can rely on to discover and grow their passions and creative skills. Our goal is that these shared creative experiences provide a tool for community building and enrichment.
Dunbar Elementary: Mid-February - May, every other week
This Spring, Dunbar students will embark on a series of workshops to expand their ideas of creative expression. You and classroom teachers will collaborate to create a curriculum incorporating material from their regular class content which builds confidence in their voices and perspectives as young writers.
Three options for Spring 2023 include:
- Mapping Dunbar’s Community, a focus on neighborhood history
- Multigenerational Interviews, optional physical/visual art component
- Community Comic Book, including peer interviews and student vignettes
Veteran’s Writing Circle: February-May, 1st and 3rd Tuesdays
The Veteran’s Writing Circle is a group of veterans who meet monthly to workshop and develop their writing. This program is versatile and open to your ideas.
- Teaching Artist Orientation must be attended before the first session begins. Once established, annual orientation is required.
- Attendance at community conversations is required to establish strong communications and adapt and respond to community needs and desires.
- Teaching artists will provide exceptional, creative courses or projects relevant to the community they are serving.
- You have the freedom to explore modes and ideas important to you within this framework.
- $75/hr: 60-90min sessions + mirrored prep-time
- Total: $150-$225/session
ASU Students (Graduate and Undergraduate)
- $25/hr: 60-90min sessions + 2x prep-time
- Total: $75-$112.50/session