Literary events from the larger community
Looking for local literary events? While the Piper Center organizes numerous talks, readings, classes, workshops, and other literary events and programs around the Valley, the #PhxLitServ calendar collects literary events and programs from the larger community.
To find local literary events and programs from the community, view the PhxLitServ calendar above.
To add the PhxLitServ calendar to your own client or submit your own events, keep reading.
To find literary event and programs from the Piper Center, view the Piper Center's calendar.
Adding the Calendar
The PhxLitServ calendar is a public calendar which can be added to your calendar client depending on your platform or preference.
The calendar is hosted on Google at the following addresses:
- Google: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/1?cid=cGh4bGl0c2VydkBnbWFpbC5jb20
- iCal: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/phxlitserv%40gmail.com/public/...
To add the PhxLitServ calendar to your personal calendar, keep reading to find your client and platform in the list below and follow the instructions accordingly.
Please note: adding the calendar to some platforms and clients are easier than others. Instructions for Google, iCal, Outlook, and Android are provided below. If you have any questions, please contact Coordinator Senior Jake Friedman at 480.727.0818 or email@example.com.
To add the PhxLitServ to your google calendar from your desktop:
- Open Calendar: Open your google calendar in your internet browser
- View Settings: View your settings by selecting the "Settings" option from the top menu
- Add Calendar: Select "Add Calendar" in the side menu
- From URL: Select "From URL"
- Enter Google URL: Enter the Google URL "https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/1?cid=cGh4bGl0c2VydkBnbWFpbC5jb20" in the text box
- Add Calendar: Select the "Add Calendar" button
If you are using the Google Calendar app on your mobile device, the calendar should appear immediately once you add it to your account. Please note: you cannot use your mobile device to add a calendar to the Google Calendar; you must add a calendar through a computer or internet browser. For more information about sharing or accessing google calendars, visit Google's website.
To add the PhxLitServ to your iCal:
- Open Calendar: Open iCal
- Select File: Select "File" from the top menu bar
- Select New Calendar Subscription: Select "New Calendar Subscription"
- Enter iCal URL: Enter the iCal URL "https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/phxlitserv%40gmail.com/public/..." in the text box
- Subscribe: Select the "Subscribe" button
- Adjust Settings: Adjust your settings as desired
- Select OK: Once your settings are adjusted to your liking, select the "OK" button
If you are using the iCal Calendar app on your mobile device, the calendar should appear immediately once you add it to your account. Please note: you cannot use your mobile device to add a calendar to the iCal Calendar; you must add a calendar through a computer or internet browser. For more information about iCal, please consult the iCal User Guide.
Outlook on Mac
Adding the PhxLitServ to your Outlook calendar on Mac can be difficult and requires a workaround. To add the PhxLitServ to your Outlook calendar on Mac:
- Open Outlook online: Access Outlook online by opening your internet browser and going to Outlook's website at http://outlook.live.com
- You can also access Outlook online directly at https://outlook.office365.com/mail/inbox
- Log in: Log in to your outlook account online by selecting the "Sign-In" button in the top-right corner of the screen and entering your username and password
- Open Calendar: Open your calendar by selecting the Calendar icon in the bottom left corner of the screen
- Add Calendar: Select "Add Calendar" from the side menu on the left. (A new window should pop up.)
- Suscribe from Web: Select "Subscribe from Web" from the side menu on the left.
- Enter iCal URL: Enter the iCal URL "https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/phxlitserv%40gmail.com/public/..."
- Adjust Settings: Enter the title "PhxLitServ" and adjust your settings as desired. If you would like to be cute, select the book icon from the list of available charms
- Import: Select the "Import" button
Once you've added the PhxLitServ through Outlook online, it should appear immediately in your desktop client under your account (not "My Calendar").
To add the PhxLitServ to your calendar on Android:
- Open Calendar: Open your calendar app on your Android phone
- Open Menu: Open the menu
- Select Settings: Open settings by selecting the settings icon in the top right corner of the menu
- Add New Account: Select "Add new account" under "Colors and accounts"
- Select Platform: Select Samsung, Exchange, Google, or another platform or client for which you will be adding your account
- Follow Instructions: Follow the instructions as prompted to add your account
To add an event, all you need to do is invite firstname.lastname@example.org to your event. Your event will then automatically be added to the calendar. That's it!
About the Calendar
The PhxLitServ calendar is an open, community-based platform for individuals, organizations, and other members of the community to find and share literary events and programs across greater Phoenix, AZ.
While the calendar is hosted by the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing, we do not have the bandwith or capacity to moderate or approve each event. As such, we need everyone who is using the calendar and adding events to follow the guidelines, hold themselves accountable, and help us maintain this resource for the larger community.
We reserve the right to remove events or ban users that violate our community guidelines or go against the values of the PhxLitServ. The Piper Center is not responsible for any events or content posted to the calendar beyond our own events. For more information, you can read our shared spaces statement or learn more about the PhxLitServ.
To learn more about formatting events, keep reading. If you have any questions, please contact Coorindator Senior Jake Friedman at 480.727.0818 or email@example.com.
When adding events to the calendar, please make sure your events are formatted in the following manner to keep things organized, usable, and neat.
- Title: All calendar events should be titled with a short name or abbreviation of the host organization in brackets and a clear, short, descriptive title
- Format: [Organization] Clear Title
- Example: [Piper] Get Lit Salon Series
- More Guidelines: In our experience, good titles clearly communicate and identify what is being offered while providing something more evocative and meaningful if space permits. Another good practice is to append the name of the author or presenter to the end of the title (e.g. "with such-and-such"). You can also use a short title followed by a colon to be more precise or clear. We believe the ideal length for a title is between three and eight words (no more than twelve).
- Descriptions: Everything on this calendar is for the public. As such, please make sure your description restates the title, speaker, date, time, location and other important information to provide confirmation and, where possible, a link to a webpage or other event platform with more information. Beyond this, please enter whatever description you would like.
Please do your best to ensue that dates, times, locations, and any other information for your events remains accurate and updated.