The Virginia G. Piper
Center for Creative Writing

Home / The Piper Writers House
Photograph of Historic Presidents Cottage on Arizona State University

A historic photograph of the Piper Writers House (formerly the President's Cottage) on Arizona State University, Tempe Campus. Photo courtesy of ASU Archives.

 

The Piper Writers House

Originally constructed in 1907, the Piper Writers House served as a home for the president of Arizona State Universty--Arthur John Matthes (1904-30) and Grady Gammage (1933-59)--until it became the Alumni House and Alumni Executive Office (1961-72) and, most recently, the University Archives (1972-95).

In 2005, the building underwent extensive renovations, including the addition of a back patio and several surrounding gardens, to house the newly established Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing.

Today, the house serves as an office for staff, a classroom for creative writing students and community members, and a gathering space for readings, receptions, and other events.

Along with University Club and Old Main, the Piper Writers House is one of the last remaining historic buildings on the Tempe campus. The house is also one of the last buildings designed by territorial architect James Creighton, who designed the original Arizona State University Normal School. 

For more information about the Piper Writers House, view the house's record on the National Register of Historic Places.

For directions, parking, and other information about getting here, you can visit our getting here page.