A Statement from the Piper Center about COVID-19
Precautions and measures to reduce the spread of germs
With the recent outbreak of COVID-19 across the world, the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing at Arizona State University is making several efforts to reduce the spread of germs. Moving forward, all events and classes will be “touch free," meaning that authors, faculty, students and guests will not be shaking hands, hugging or taking selfies.
Beyond this, we would encourage all community members to follow the official guidelines from the Center for Disease Control:
- Wash hands often and for at least 20 seconds each time
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover your nose and mouth with something disposable (like a tissue) when you cough or sneeze; throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If you do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should always be used if hands are visibly dirty.
- Clean frequently touched items such as cell phones. On your way by plane? Clean the tray table, screens, windows, arm rests, and air vents of your airplane seating area.
- Refrain from shaking hands or hugging.
If you begin to feel sick or have any symptoms of a virus, please refrain from attending events in person and seek medical treatment as needed. Any individuals who are unable to attend a class or event due to illness will be issued a full refund. If you have any questions about refunds, please reach out to Piper Center staff members as appropriate and necessary.
For more information about COVID-19 symptoms and precautions, you can read official announcements about COVID-19 from Arizona State University or visit the Center for Disease Control at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.