The Piper Center

Home / About the Center / Piper House

The Piper Writers House

The historic President’s Cottage on the ASU Tempe Campus is the home of the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing.

Located on the corner of Palm Walk and Tyler Mall, the house was constructed in 1907 and served as the home of the university’s president until 1959. Since that time, it has been used by the ASU Alumni Association for administrative offices (1961 to 1972) and as the home of the University Archives (1972 to 1995.) The house, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is especially fitting as a home for the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing, as Robert Frost visited there twice as the guest of then-President Grady Gammage. 

Piper House living room

Piper House living room

Piper House meeting room

Photographs of Virginia G. Piper and one of her letters

Photograph of and letter of Virginia G. Piper

Piper guest book

Bedroom turned office

Books by Jewell Parker Rhodes

Foreign editions of books by Jewell Parker Rhodes

University Archives Building Plaque

Landscape Gardens drawing by

Piper time capsule and author signature brick garden

Piper House exterior

Inviting rocking chairs on Piper porch

Piper mascot Talla

Piper staff

Piper writers in residence Michael A. Stackpole and Bill Konigsberg

Angie Dell and Aria Curtis

Mollie Connelly and Meredith Martinez